Last night I made Chicken Parmesan instead of the planned "Favorite Hotdish." I've never done Chicken Parmesan before, so it was an adventure.
And I'm happy to say an easy and successful adventure!!
Here are the steps I took:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
1) Mix 1 egg (I used 1/4 cup Egg Beaters) and 1/2 cup of milk into a shallow pan.
2) Sprinkle a good amount of bread crumbs into another pan. I used plain and then also mixed in some Italian seasoning.
3) Dip frozen chicken breasts into egg mixture, then cover with breadcrubms.
4) Place chicken breasts into a hot skillet on medium-high heat. Cook for about 4 minutes per side.
5) Place chicken breasts into a baking dish. I just used the same dish that I had the breadcrumbs in to save a dish.
6) Cover each chicken breast with mozerella cheese. Either 2 slices, or a nice sized handful of shredded.
7) Dump your favorite canned/jarred sauce over the top.
8) Sprinkle with a bit of parmeasean and some more mozerella.
9) Into the oven for about 35-45 minutes - until the chicken is 170 degrees.
10) While chicken is cooking, make plain spaghetti noodles.
Done! Very good meal, very easy!
We ate it with the loaf of $0.98 french bread I picked up at Cash Wise, dipped in olive oil, a bit of parmesean and pepper. Drool.
Overall, this was a very cheap meal.
Chicken was purchased at $2.98 for 2 pounds. Used 1 pound, $1.50
Cheese was given to us, so free.
Sauce was $0.77
Fresh Pamesean was purchased months ago and has been kept in the freezer, used such a small amount it would equate to about $0.25 maybe!
Bread was $0.98
Spaghetti was Ronzoni from Target-used half a box which equals about $0.12 from what I paid for it.
I would guess around $3.75 for the entire meal. It fed 2 adults and a toddler, with leftovers for another huge adult sized portion!
My pasta lovin' hubby enjoyed it, and so did I. I'm thinkin' it will be entering into the normal routine of meals!