Friday, September 25, 2009

$75 a Week Grocery Challenge Update

It's the end of the month for us, being it's Pay Day.

My plan for September was to only spend $75 per week, or $150 a paycheck on groceries.

How did I do?



I did okay.

Not great.  I did go over, but not drastically!  When all was said and done, I still had the $200 savings to put away in our "rainy day mug".  However, some of it was gas fund money versus grocery.

Lessons Learned:
1) Cut back on the junk: the junk food is always on sale, and for really great deals.  But, it's JUNK.  We don't need 48 canisters of $0.18 Pringles.  1 is fine.  And life doesn't end if we have no chips in the house.
2) Use the money saving from not buying junk to stock up on the good stuff:  we had a GREAT sale on chicken-I did stock up, and it sent me over the budget.  Worth it yes, but I could have stayed within if I had avoided the cookies, Pringles, Pop Tarts and Toaster Strudels.
3) Couponing is worth the work: who else gets a natural high when you reciept says you saved 48%?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment